Here is a great recipe to use your local, in season, green beans from your local farmer's market. I altered Real Simple Magazine's Green Bean and Pasta Salad Recipe a bit and it turned out great. It makes a great, filling lunch or dinner and is approximately $2.60 a serving. Use the entire can of beans and cook a little more pasta to stretch the meal even further.
- 4 ounces penne (1 1/4 cups)
- 4 ounces green beans, halved crosswise (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup canned red or kidney beans, rinsed (I only had canned pinto beans)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (used dried flaked flat-leaf parsley)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- kosher salt and black pepper (I used fresh ground)
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, adding the green beans during the last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain and run under cold water to cool.
- Toss the cooled pasta and green beans with the red beans, parsley, Parmesan, olive oil, lemon juice, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Divide the salad between 2 containers and refrigerate for up to 1 day.