Thursday, September 24, 2009

Paper Bead and Recycled Plastic Shrinky Dinks!

I found a craft here on how to make recycled paper beads .  It was fun!  I just used some old magazine pages, cut them into elongated triangles, doused them with glue, wrapped them around the thin handle of a skinny paint brush, pushed them off the end and boom.  Paper bead.  Now what was I going to do with them? Necklaces, bracelets, keychains? Perhaps.

I also stumbled across this website to make your own shrinky dinks out of recycled #6 plastic.  Usually the clamshell containers found at grocery store salad bars and take-out container are #6.  You simply cut out the plastic as shown here, then color with Sharpies and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for a few minutes, until the plastic begins to shrink and curl and then flatten again.



Knowing that in a few weeks, I had a Mother's Blessing to host, I incorporated the two crafts and adorned candles.  First I wrapped the candles in raffia so the bead/ shrinky dink embellishment would have something to cling to since it kept slipping off the glass candle holder.



I also made a necklace.  Recycling is fun, yo!


2 comments:

  1. These candles are so sweet. I'm amazed at all the crafty projects you've been producing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kat. That's the nice thing about blogging, it makes me feel productive!

    ReplyDelete